The Diversity Committee fulfills the mandates contained in Board Policies related to San Diego Community College District’s (SDCCD's) Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
The District is committed to employing qualified administrators, faculty, staff members who are dedicated to the success of all students. The Board recognizes that cultural competency is an important component of being qualified. The Board further recognizes that diversity in the academic environment fosters cultural awareness, promotes mutual understanding and respect, and provides suitable role models for all students. The Board is committed to hiring and staff development processes that support the goals of equal opportunity, diversity, and cultural competency, to provide equal consideration for all qualified candidates. Education Code Section 87100 et seq.; Title 5, Section 53000, et seq. Adopted: 4/16/2009. Supersedes: 9/11/2007.
- Assist in carrying out Board Policies (BP): BP 7100, BP 7150, BP 7150, BP 3100, BP 3410, BP 3430, BP 3540, and BP 3105
- Strive to initiate programs and provide resources that increase understanding and awareness of social justice
- Remove barriers for historically underrepresented groups
- Improve cross cultural relations
- Contribute to a campus climate that is safe and welcoming for everyone
- Vice President, Instruction
- Vice President, Student Services
- Faculty (1) from each Academic Program
- Faculty (1) from Student Services
- Classified (1+)
- Associated Students (1+)
The President appoints the committee chair.
This committee meets once each month during the academic school year at a regularly scheduled time. Meetings may be virtual or face-to-face, and electronic voting is acceptable.