The Academic Senate is open to all San Diego Continuing Education faculty members and provides the opportunity to participate in the Continuing Education participatory governance structure. The primary function of the Academic Senate is to allow faculty the opportunity to express their opinion and to ensure that those opinions are given every reasonable consideration, that faculty assume primary responsibility for making recommendations in the areas of curriculum and academic standards.
The Academic Senate serves as the representative of the faculty in making recommendations to the administration of San Diego Continuing Education and to the Board of Trustees. It also serves to interact with the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges and senates of other California community colleges.
The Academic Senate makes recommendations in the formation and implementation of policies on academic and related professional matters. Goals are to address academic and professional issues including:
- Curriculum, including establishing
- prerequisites and courses within disciplines;
- Certificate requirements;
- Grading policies;
- Educational program development;
- Maintaining the highest standards or policies regarding student preparation and success including Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs);
- District and San Diego Continuing Education governance structures, as related to faculty roles;
- Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes, including related reports;
- Policies for faculty professional development activities;
- Processes for program review;
- Processes for institutional planning and budget development; and
- Other academic and professional matters as mutually agreed upon between the governing board and the Academic Senate.
- Academic Senate President serves a twoyear term and may be re-elected for one additional consecutive two-year term
- Officers (5-7) including the Academic Senate President, Vice-President or President-elect, Past-President, Secretary, Treasurer, the Chair of Program Chairs and Curriculum Chair
- Discipline Delegates (9-11)
- Campus Representatives (6)
This general committee meets once each month at a regularly scheduled time.
- Academic Senate Executive Council
- Appointments Committee
- Curriculum Committee
- Elections Committee
- Environmental Stewardship
- Program Chair Committee
- Professional Advancement Committee (proposed)